Python development time is faster.

Jordan jordan.taylor2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 14:20:54 EST 2006

Just a little something I realized after writing the same program in
C++ and python (a simple chat client and server, with one on one and
chat room capabilities).  I used wxwidgets and wxpython respectively
for the GUIs, and they weren't extremely elaborate, just some basic
functionality, a few frames, a few buttons, added a few sound
options... nothing huge ;D   However, making the gui for python took me
less than a fourth of the time it took to make the equivalent (the C++
one was actually a bit worse, there were some things that were
implemented in wxpython that just didn't want to work in wxwidgets).
I'm not saying that coding in python is going to let you develop things
4 times faster, but there are some obvious advantages that I think
greatly increase development rate. Just making the framework for the
C++ gui was very time consuming.  Added to this is that python doesn't
require linking and specifying libraries and all the other things that
tend to go wrong on the first attempt at compiling something. You also
don't have to specify void, int, char etc for functions, and of course,
there's no pointers.  :D     Best thing you can do is probably just to
download python and tinker with it, maybe try making some python
equivalents to whatever you've made in other languages.

Cheers
-Jordan