Generating header information using ElementTree

Craig craigtw.online at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 17:18:42 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Craig wrote:
>
> > I'm only new to Python so please bear with me.  I using ElementTree to
> > generate an XML file that will reference a DTD and an XSL file.  The
> > header information I want at the start of the file is as follows:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="test.xsl"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE BobActivityLog SYSTEM "test.dtd">
> >
> > How do you add this header information to the tree
>
> to the file, you mean?  use print.
>
> </F>

Thanks for the quick response.  Here is the code I am using to manually
write to the file is:

    outFile = open("record.xml", 'w')
    outFile.write = ("<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n")
    outFile.write = ("<?xml-stylesheet type=\"text/xsl\"
href=\"test.xsl\"?>\n")
    outFile.write = ("<!DOCTYPE BobActivityLog SYSTEM \"test.dtd\">\n")
    outFile.close()

When I run the code I get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bob-xml.py", line 189, in <module>
    main()
  File "bob-xml.py", line 173, in main
    outFile.write = ("<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n")
AttributeError: 'file' object attribute 'write' is read-only

What am I doing wrong here?  If anyone could help that would be
appreciated.  Thanks again.

Craig