jython's future (was: Python development time is faster.)

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Mon Nov 13 12:34:36 EST 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote
> I wouldn't consider jython abandonware. It is under active development, and
> I'm using a 2.2 alpha successful for quite a while now - which usually
> serves my needs.
>
> The problem is/was that new-style classes were a major hurdle to take, and
> this now seems to be conquered. So lets hope (or contribute code....:P)
> that jython will see a 2.4 version ASAP.

The jython project currently deploys a pretty cathedral-ish development style,
pretty much hidden from broader audiences. FWIW, it seems to be stuck in
trying to get out a 2.2 compliant release first, then to provide a 2.3
compliant version (at least, there's a branch for it). Guess it's a question
of human resources, but personally, I wouldn't care too much about
compatibility and just let people go and implement whatever feature they want
to be in on the way towards something as close to 2.5 (or maybe 2.4, why not)
as possible. Honestly, how many important Python modules do still run on 2.2?
Most switched to at least 2.3 quite a while ago.

After all, it's the compatible *software* that makes the difference, not the
platform. It's easier to say: "hey, this feature is lacking to make my program
run" than: "let's see, what else is there in that outdated specification to
implement?". And it's a lot more encouraging, too.

Just my little rant on this one ...

Stefan