n-dim permutation matrix/generator?

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:26:33 EST 2006

robert wrote:

> for the purpose of flat n-dim iteration a function or generator
> ndim_permute(*v) should compute or generate a list of tuples like:
>
> ndim_permute( (0,1,2), (0,1), (0,1), ) ->
>
> 0 0 0
> 0 0 1
> 0 0 2
> 0 1 0
> 0 1 1
> 0 1 1

hmm ... shouldn't his be (0 1 2) ?

> 1 0 1
>

> what is a good solution? Or is there already a total iterator existing
> somewhere in the stdlib?

I think there are good solutions in the python cookbook at:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

But it gives a page mentioning 'system difficulties' now, so I can't
check. Someone else will post the link to their favorite recipe.
Meanwhile, this gives me a chance to plug some of my experimental code :-)

A.

def ncycle(seq,n):
     while True:
         for x in seq: