Decimal() instead of float?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Nov 14 12:08:56 EST 2006

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 03:45 -0600, Steve Holden wrote:
>> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>> > Is there a way to use Decimal() by default in Python instead of float?
>>
>> No. You'll just have to be explicit.
>>

> That's kinda what I figured.  :-(
>
> It /would/ be nice to see Decimal() become the default.  I cannot
> imagine why in an otherwise "human enough" language, math wouldn't be
> included in that without going out of one's way to do it.  :-)

Speed has a lot to do with it. Have you timed some decimal operations
against their floating-point counterparts? It might be possible to build
a version of Python that used decimal instead of floating-point but it
certainly wouldn't be trivial: consider the use of C language libraries
that know nothing of Python's decimal representation.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119