Py3K idea: why not drop the colon?

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sat Nov 11 13:54:35 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 01:13:03 -0600, Ron Adam wrote:
>
>> Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> Inform 6 "x == blue or red or yellow" is equivalent to the Python
>>>
>>> x == blue or x == red or x == yellow
>> Maybe it should have been expressed as:
>>
>>      x == (blue or red or yellow)
>

> But that has very different semantics still -- since parentheses have the
> highest priority, it means "evaluate (blue or red or yellow), then test if
> x is equal to the result".
>
> It might be useful on occasion to have a construct for "x equals blue or
> red or yellow" in the sense used by normal English or Inform 6. And,
> funnily enough, Python has such a construct. You just have to write "in"
> instead of ==, and use a tuple for the terms:
>
> x in (blue, red, yellow)
>
> Not hard to remember, and unambiguous.

Yes, that is the correct best way to do it, of course.

Funny thing is I tested a variation of the above version in a console and it
seemed to work, which surprised me.  Now I can't get it to work, <scratching
head>.  I don't know exactly what I typed in last night, so I can't figure out
what subtle (or overlooked obvious) characteristics my test had which gave me
the misleading results.

Sigh. I did think it was kind of odd it (apparently) worked, which was why I
phrased it as a suggestion.

Cheers,
    Ron