Is python for me?

Danny Milosavljevic danny_milo at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 17:43:03 EST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:22:57 -0800, "dakman wrote:

> Yes of course python can handle of these things, but have you actually
> compared them to something written in C? Even if the app was converted
> into bytecode, it's still not as fast as an executable, that's all I am
> saying.

I used to routinely write gui programs (data entry and such) in python
first and then ported them down to C for speed. I stopped the downporting,
isn't worth it, I just stay in python.

Make no mistake, python itself is slow enough. Its just that with today's
CPUs, no, even with CPUs 3 years old (mine is an Athlon XP), most
of the time slow is still faster than needed.

Once you start to do heavy-lifting in python, the picture becomes bleak,
though (I tried to write a Truetype Font Repacker
http://www.scratchpost.org/hacks/truetype-font-repacker/ without using any
external font libraries and its dog slow).

That said, most programming (for me also at work) consists of glue code.

And there still is that python to C++ converter, what was it called?
And python for dotnet. And Jython.
Those should help with speed a bit.

cheers,
  Danny