Software Compatable with other versions?

georgeryoung at gmail.com georgeryoung at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 07:56:08 EST 2006

On Nov 21, 7:24 am, "Michael Yanowitz" <m.yanow... at kearfott.com> wrote:
>   I am still using Python 2.4.3, I haven't upgraded yet.
> However, I would like to know if my 2.4.3 programs will run
> in 2.5 without modification.
>   Is there any way to test that my software is compatable
> with 2.5 (or any other version), without actually installing
> that version?:
You need to install 2.5.  If you're on linux or similar OS, get the
source and
do
  ./configure
  make altinstall
This installs almost everything, but does not overwrite your link to
2.4.3.

Then you can test your code using
   python2.5 myfile.py

When you're all set, just change the link "python" to point to the new
python2.5.

>   I have been told that the .pyc are not compatable. Is it
> possible, to convert a 2.4.x .pyc to a 2.5 .pyc?

Very unlikely.
 -- George Young