Python in sci/tech applications

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.invalid
Fri Nov 3 17:29:52 EST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> This is what Martin said:
>
> """
> It used to be possible to link with it. See
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh(VS.80).aspx
>
> This is now a "known DLL", and meant for use by system-level components
> only.
> """
>
> Note the words "used to" and "now". Mingw is a somewhat old project and
> was initially developed at a time when MSVCRT.dll *was* intended to be
> used by applications. It simply hasn't received enough attention
> recently to move to a different runtime. If you would like to volunteer
> your time to do the necessary work to allow it to link to modern
> runtimes, please do so. You will receive the undying thanks of many,
> many Pythoneers.

thanks, but I'm more in favor of the reverse direction :-)
As I have a lot to do with frozen distributables, package sizes are still a predominant concern for me. App-startup speed, MEM consumption etc. also - still.
Having non-standard C-RTLs and maybe non-standard versions of the MFC dll's, doubled Python-DLL sizes etc. one has an extra burden of >3MB since Python2.4.
This means for me: Python2.3 - or create very proprietary compilations.

robert