Python v PHP for web, and restarting Apache?

sandra.eloff at gmail.com sandra.eloff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:46:40 EST 2006

On Nov 17, 12:07 pm, "walterbyrd" <walterb... at iname.com> wrote:
> I think I have read somewhere that using Python to develop
> web-applications requires some restarting of the Apache server, whereas
> PHP does not.

It depends what you do. CGI's operate much like PHP. mod_python has
auto-reloading (and by implication most frameworks that build on it.) A
poorly designed web application may require a restart. (Some people
also disable auto-reload for production servers for performance
advantages.)

> Also, I seem to remember reading something about PHP being able to
> recover from Apache restarting  more easily than Python.

I can think of no reason why that would be true. Perhaps these are
poorly designed python applications?

> I am not trying to suggest anything here. I'm just asking.

Ask away. The only bad question is an unasked question. Most of us can
act like adults here (although we all forget that from time to time.)

Python is much better suited to writing and mainting large web
applications though. Being both an experienced php and python
programmer, I can tell you I don't use php any more unless I have no
other choice.

-Sandra