How good is CORBA?

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Tue Nov 21 18:39:16 EST 2006

Hi,

>> I heard about CORBA... but also heard that it has some flaws...like
>> the programming being very complicated.
>> Also heard that CORBA is no more used these days...
>
> CORBA's wire protocol (GIOP/IIOP) is heavily used in (java) EJB servers.
>
>> Can someone suggest me a better option or is corba fine?
>
> Well, if you are in a 100% python environment, I would suggest
> to use Pyro instead (http://pyro.sf.net)
> Or some other pure-Python RPC mechanism.

If, on the other hand, you want/have to combine different programming
languages and different environments, then CORBA will be a big help. For
example: Making objects implemented in Python on a Linux machine work with
objects implemented in C++ on a Windows machine (or even with objects
implemented in COBOL on a mainframe) will be no problem at all.

In our company we use CORBA a lot, even though we mostly use Python these
days. It gives us a lot of flexibility, while on the other hand it 'forces'
us to strictly define the interfaces of our objects before implementing
them. But that is a good thing :)

- Sander