How can I speed this function up?

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Sat Nov 18 02:16:05 EST 2006

Chris wrote:

> I have a vested interest in showing a colleague that a python app can
> yield results in a time comparable to his C-app, which he feels is mch
> faster. I'd like to know what I can do within the constraints of the
> python language to get the best speed possible. Hope someone can help.

Fight smart!
How long did the C-app take to write?
How robust are the C and the Python versions w.r.t. unforeseen inputs?
Mimic the software life-cycle:
  * How long would it take to make each program work on Windows?, Mac?
  * How long would it take to 'fully' test each program?
How easy is it to explain each prog. to an audience that have
programmed, but never in C or Python?
How long would it take to add another feature?

Best and best speed can have many meanings. good luck.

- Paddy.