Will GPL Java eat into Python marketshare?

Ray ray_usenet at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 07:52:11 EST 2006

walterbyrd wrote:
> Some think it will.

How so? Just because Java is GPL doesn't mean you can type less while
coding in it.

BufferedOutputStream bos = new BufferedOutputStream(new
FileOutputStream());

is still like that GPL or no GPL, no?

> Up untill now, Java has never been standard across different versions
> of Linux and Unix.

The last company I worked for has been delivering products on Windows,
Linux, and Solaris for years. We've never had to resort to any
"platform-specific" stuff with Java.

> Some think that is one reason that some developers
> have avoided Java in favor of Python. Now that Java has been GPL'd that
> might change.

Becoming a better Java, maybe. Becoming more like Python? No way. I
have high hopes for Jython though, Charles Nutter from JRuby has been
having an ongoing discussion with the Jython developers in jython-dev.
Interesting stuff!