Decimal() instead of float?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Nov 15 17:20:37 EST 2006

In article <455b82a0$0$7054$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com>,
John Salerno  <johnjsal at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>John Machin wrote:
>>
>> Here in Austraila, (I expect this is common to most countries), there
>> are people who are utterly clueless about elementary data model rules,
>> like identification "numbers" should be kept as strings.
>
>Do you mean that ID numbers that serve as a primary key in a database
>should also be strings?

Depends.  If they are strictly internal, ints are fine.  But if they
interact with the outside world, they should be strings.

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 1993