[Zopyrus] A python IDE for teaching that supports cyrillic i/o

tom tom at t0mb.net
Sat Nov 18 14:20:49 EST 2006

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 09:01:04PM +0200, Kirill Simonov wrote:
>
>> Could anyone suggest me a simple IDE suitable for teaching Python as a
>> first programming language to high school students

which operating system would this concern?  IDLE which you might find
comes with python, or is installable separately is a good bet, one nice
feature is that when you open up the initial parenthese on a method
call, it can list the arguments that the method expects.  ipython is
very good too, it allows tab completion of class methods/attributes and
the like, which can make navigating your way around a new class
magnitudes easier.  only the former can really be considered an IDE.
It'd be great to see them combined somehow.

I personally use pida (http://pida.berlios.de).  It is perhaps not a
beginners IDE, but it has advantages such as being able to plug in a few
different editors, some of which are very easy to use.  It has a class
browser which you can have on a sidebar, integrated docbook support, the
ability to open python and other types of shell as part of the window,
syntax checking and more.  It can aid development to no end.