Py3K idea: why not drop the colon?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Nov 16 05:30:52 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Magnus Lycka wrote:
>
>> Which is the better writing style for text intended for human readers?
>>
>> I have some things to say:
>>      Seagulls belong in the sky.
>>      Colon fits in the text.
>>
>> I have some things to say
>> {
>>      Seagulls belong in the text.
>>      Colon fits in the belly.
>> }
>
> have anyone counted the number of colons used in this way by the OP,
> in his first few posts ?  (if there isn't a name for the law that
> states that the number for a "let's remove the colons" proposal is
> always greater than zero, someone should come up with one...)

I'm always surprised by the amount of energy that's put into this type
of discussion - even the OP has suggested that this isn't a big issue.
If it's not a big issue why is this thread still going? Every language
has a syntax. Why not just accept it as a given and get on with more
productive activities?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119