How to choose the right GUI toolkit ?

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Fri Nov 10 03:26:14 EST 2006

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:01:51 +0100, Dan Lenski <dlenski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tk 8.4 appears to use native Win32 widgets under Cygwin and native
> WinXP.

It seems to depend on the widget type, and on what you call native... For
example, tk menus are definitely the native ones; tk scrollbars are the
native ones, but with the Win2k look (no XP look available yet); tk
buttons do not seem to be the native ones, as they don't act like "normal"
Windows buttons.

> But it definitely doesn't use GTK widgets under Ubuntu with
> Gnome desktop.

You seem to imply that GTK is "native" on Linux. It isn't, as can be seen
with the echoes of the "holy war" between Gnome and KDE that we often see
around here. As an aside, I personnally work on Linux and don't even use
any of these environments (both are too much Windows-like to my taste...).

> Is there a way to get it to do so?

Not yet. But tcl/tk 8.5 will include the Tile extension including new
themable widgets. See here:
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/screenshots/unix.html

There is also a Tile/QT extension that allows the Tile widgets to use the
QT library. See here:
http://www.ellogon.org/petasis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=40

AFAIK, nothing equivalent for GTK yet.

HTH
'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"