pack a three byte int

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Nov 8 18:45:01 EST 2006

p.lavarre at ieee.org wrote:
> Can Python not express the idea of a three-byte int?

It is a bit hard to determine what that (rhetorical?) question means.
Possible answers:
1. Not as concisely as a one-byte struct code -- as you presumably have
already determined by reading the manual ...
2. No, but when 24-bit machines become as popular as they were in the
1960s, feel free to submit an enhancement request :-)

> For instance, in the working example below, can we somehow collapse the
> three calls of struct.pack into one?

> 08 12 34 56 80 00

You could try throwing the superfluous bits away before packing instead
of after:

| '08 12 34 56 80 00'

but why do you want to do that to concise working code???