Where do nested functions live?

Rob Williscroft rtw at freenet.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 05:51:29 EST 2006

Frederic Rentsch wrote in news:mailman.1556.1162316571.11739.python-
list at python.org in comp.lang.python:

> Rob Williscroft wrote:
>> Frederic Rentsch wrote in news:mailman.1536.1162292996.11739.python-

[snip]

>>> Here I'm lost. What's the advantage of this? It looks more convoluted.
>>>

>> I'll agree that having to explicitly define a namespace class first
>> does add some convolution.
>>
>> But if you refer to having to prefix you "outer" variables with
>> "scope." then this would be the same as claiming that the explict use
>> of self is convoluted, which is a valid opinion, so fair enough, but
>> I can't say that I agree.
>>

> I didn't mean to call into question. I didn't understand the advantage
> of the added complexity of your second example over the first.

Ok, I missed your point, as for the second example it was an attempt
to show that further refactoring from a function with local functions
that are sharing some state via the scope object, to a class with
methods that share state via the instance, is a matter of editing
a few lines.

This is useful when a function grows too large (for some value of
"too large"). As an added bonus you get to use the same thechniques
with both styles of coding.

[snip]

Rob.
--