Active State and Komodo...

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Mon Nov 27 12:48:45 EST 2006

Steve Thompson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering the differnced there were betwee Active State's python and
> the open source version of python.

Here is the best answer to that:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/tree/browse_frm/thread/e8291fcb1418e80/16f39060f654402f?rnum=1&hl=en&q=ActivePython+trent&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.lang.python%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Fe8291fcb1418e80%2F98c87a6a5dc8f3c0%3Ftvc%3D1%26q%3DActivePython+trent%26hl%3Den%26#doc_b6f732ab2c8434ef
http://tinyurl.com/y7r47q

> Would I have to unistall my opend souce
> python?

No. As BartlebyScrivener wrote you shouldn't do that. You can easily install
ActivePython side-by-side with another Python install on Linux.

 > Additonally, how does Active State's Komodo IDE vs. the eric3 IDE
> unler SuSE Linux v. 10.i?
>
> Addionally, is the eric IDE (version 3) an acceptible IDE or are there
> more easy and more productive IDE's for perl?

*I* like Komodo, but then I am biased because I am one of its developers. :)
I presume you meant Python instead of Perl there, but if not, Komodo does
support Perl as well as Python (and PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Tcl and XSLT too).

This is a pretty good review of Python IDEs (although note that most, if not
all, of the IDEs reviewed there will have advanced a few versions).

http://spyced.blogspot.com/2005/09/review-of-6-python-ides.html

Komodo 4 is currently under public beta (Komodo 4 beta 1 is out now and beta 2
should be released later this week). Try it out:

http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo/beta.plex#features

Cheers,
Trent

--