A python IDE for teaching that supports cyrillic i/o

Kirill Simonov xi at gamma.dn.ua
Sun Nov 19 10:11:23 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 06:11:48PM -0800, PyScripter wrote:
> Kirill Simonov wrote:
> > PyScripter does, indeed, look nice, but unfortunately it appeared to
> > have similar issues with cyrillic support. Thank you anyway for the
> > suggestion.
>

> What are the issues?  PyScripter offers full support for utf-8 encoded
> files and PEP-263.  The editor internally is unicode based.    Please
> read the PyScripter help topic "Encoded Python Source Files", paying
> special attention to the last paragraph, and if you follow the
> guidelines you should have no problem with cyrillic or other encodings.
>  If you have problems email pyscripter at gmail.com for support.

The issues are related to the emulation of sys.stdin and sys.stdout in
the interactive console (which is called Python Interpreter in
PyScripter).

In PyScripter,
    >>> print "...some cyrillic characters..."
produces output as if an UTF-8 string is displayed in latin1.
On the other hand,
    >>> print u"...some cyrillic characters..."
works correctly in PyScripter.  Both above examples works correctly in a
real console when sys.stdout.encoding is set to 'utf-8'.

raw_input() doesn't work at all with non-ASCII characters in PyScripter.
    >>> raw_input("...some cyrillic characters...")
displays the label in latin1 while
    >>> raw_input(u"...some cyrillic characters...")
produces UnicodeDecodeError.

Moreover, if I enter some cyrillic characters to the input box of
raw_input(), it returns a line of '?'. This might be related to the fact
that I use WinXP ENG (not RUS), but still I believe it's possible to
make it work even in this environment.

I'd like the emulated sys.stdin and sys.stdout to behave like the real
sys.stdin and sys.stdout do under a UTF-8 terminal when
sys.stdout.encoding is set to 'utf-8'.

Python 2.5, PyScripter 1.7.2.0.

Thanks,
Kirill