Surprise with special floating point values

prouleau001 at gmail.com prouleau001 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:53:38 EST 2006

Hi all,

While trying to use simplejson under Python 2.4.3 I have been
investigating the handling of special floating point values and found
that both Python 2.4 and 2.5 return False when comparing  a NaN with
itself.   Although surprising, I imagine it could also be correct since
NaN is not a number.  But is it correct?

Notice the result of comparing c with itself in the following Python
2.5 session  (it works the same on Python 2.4.3) under Win32::

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
>>> a = 1e300 * 1e300
>>> a
1.#INF