synching with os.walk()

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Fri Nov 24 11:27:09 EST 2006

Andre Meyer wrote:

> Hi all
>
> os.walk() is a nice generator for performing actions on all files in a
> directory and subdirectories. However, how can one use os.walk() for walking
> through two hierarchies at once? I want to synchronise two directories (just
> backup for now), but cannot see how I can traverse a second one. I do this
> now with os.listdir() recursively, which works fine, but I am afraid that
> recursion can become inefficient for large hierarchies.
>
> thanks for your help
> André

Walk each tree individually gathering file names relative to the head
of the tree and modification data.

compare the two sets of data to generate:
 1. A list of what needs to be copied from the original to the copy.
 2. A list of what needs to be copied from the copy to the original

Do the copying.

|You might want to show the user what needs to be done and give them
the option of aborting after generating the copy lists.

- Paddy.