Delivering data to python from a c-thread

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Nov 8 13:55:51 EST 2006

Svein Seldal wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Could you have the Python code create a second Python thread and have it
>> call back into the C code to collect any waiting data?
>
> Well yeah, in principle. However one would need some synchronization
> mechanisms anyway. The C data source is generating asynch. messages to
> deliver to python and thus the py thread must be ready to wait for it.
> It will add another thread in the total application (cuz' I cant remove
> the extra C thread since it has other important tasks), but I'll give it
> a shot at least!

OK. I was just thinking that, with Python threads, communication using
Queue.Queue is thread-safe and will handle the GIL, so that way you only
have the problem of how to synchronize your C code when it receives the
callback from the Python thread.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119