About alternatives to Matlab

Rob Purser rpurser at mathworks.com
Mon Nov 27 10:16:54 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm not going to touch the big picture issues here -- you need to pick the
right tool for the job you're doing, and only you know what works best for
your task.  However, since it didn't come up, I feel I need to add a piece
of info to the mix, since I spend my days getting MATLAB working with data
acquisition hardware.  To be clear, I'm the development lead for Data
Acquisition Toolbox, which is MathWorks' add on product to MATLAB and
Simulink to handle all the issues associated with interfacing data
acquisition hardware without all the CMEX work, threading, DLLs, etc.  As
Sturla points out, that's not trivial work in any language.

Anyway, I just wanted to call your attention to Data Acquisition Toolbox:
http://www.mathworks.com/products/daq/

I'm not sure what hardware you're using, Phil, so I can't say whether we
support it.  We do add support for new hardware all the time, so I'd be
interested in hearing about your application.

All the best,
-Rob

--
Rob Purser