Is python for me?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Nov 14 14:45:53 EST 2006

> By large I mean an application with intensive operations, such
> as a fancy GUI maybe a couple of threads, accessing a
> database, etc.

I can't say I've had any python related problems on such matters.
  I've done some modestly large-sized apps, and the bottlenecks
are almost always I/O bound...disk, network, database (which is
regularly disk or network bound).  Some stuff has done some
fairly intense computation, and it's usually an algorithmic
problem, not a python problem (in my case, it was an O(n^2)
comparison of every element in one list with every element in
another list to find a "closest" string match to try and gently
merge two datasets on merely a person's ill-formatted name).

I'm not sure I'd write a hard-core nuclear-explosion simulator or
render intense 3d graphics within python.  But I'd readily use
python to glue together low-level optimized versions of libraries
such as OpenGL where performance counts...

-tkc