Py3K idea: why not drop the colon?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Nov 9 15:44:21 EST 2006

>>> Anyway, the FAQ answer seems to be a weak argument to me.
>> I agree. I was expecting something more technical to justify
>> the colon, not just that it looks better.
>
> I think it is outstanding that the colon's justification is
> asthetic rather than technical (though I too had expected to see
> a technical excuse for it).

Though by such justifications based on asthetics, the interpreter
should also enforce that class-names begin with capital letters,
that camel-case is eschewed in favor of underscore_separation.
And perhaps enforce a 79-column character limit on text.  Perhaps
also put a cap on the number of punctuation characters on a given
line as well to prevent the code from looking too much like
Perl... ;*)

A few arbitrary warts per-dictum of BDFL are fine though...it
still looks much cleaner compared to PHP & Perl ;-)

Shaving-with-Occam's-disposable-razor'ly yers...

-tkc