3d programming without opengl

Will McGugan will at willmcgugan.com
Wed Nov 1 10:16:57 EST 2006

nelson - wrote:
> hi!
>    i want to build up a simple 3d interactive geometry application in
> python. Since i want to run it without 3D acceleration (a scene will
> be quite simple) I was wondering if there was a library in python that
> allow me to build 3D graphic without the need to use OpenGL.... I
> google but i can't find nothing interesting... (the best would be a
> pure python solution)

If you are worried about running your 3d app on older machines, OpenGL
will typically fall back to software rendering if the hardware isn't
available. Although you would have to be running it on an ancient PC if
that is an issue.

If you really want to avoid OpenGL, then writing a custom 3D engine
using flat shaded polys, with painters algorithm, rendered with your
favourite gui toolkit isn't a great deal of work.

Will McGugan
--
http://www.willmcgugan.com