python-ldap and Python 2.5 (was: Python 2.5 Core Dump on Solaris 8)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Nov 15 11:21:18 EST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Melissa Evans schrieb:
>
>>I've modified grappy.py,
>>http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mattiasa/projects/grappy/, a postfix policy
>>daemon for greylisting. to use LDAP as a backend instead of SQL (with
>>python-ldap.)  The daemon runs fine when testing but when I put it under
>>load it core dumps quickly.  What little analysis I know how to do shows
>>similar information every time.  Any advice on where to go from here?
>
> It looks like a memory allocation bug, e.g. caused by a double free,
> or possibly a buffer overrun.

Unfortunately the C part of python-ldap is not in a good shape regarding
Python 2.5 since I'm not a C programmer. Release 2.2.0 works only with
Python 2.3.x. and 2.4.x. :-/

But this seems to help (tested on my local system):
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1575329&group_id=2072&atid=102072

Generally I also asked for help regarding "PEP 353 - preparation for
Python 2.5":
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1467529&group_id=2072&atid=102072

I posted a related message to python-ldap-dev list with some patches:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=30574782&forum_id=4346

During the next days I hope to commit some of the changes I've made
since then. Contributions welcome.

Ciao, Michael.