why would anyone use python when java is there?

gregarican greg.kujawa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 12:27:10 EST 2006

I would recommend learning one language out of each of three potential
groups. Just my $0.02 USD:

1) Larger commercial languages - Java, C++, C#.
2) Fun, productive scripting languages - Python, Ruby
3) Academic languages - C, Lisp, Haskell, Smalltalk

This doesn't mean that Python can't be a larger commercial language, or
that C is only used for teaching purposes. Perhaps these are too broad
of generalizations. But these are three different areas of interest and
having at least one language under your belt in each area would look
good on a resume.

Of course learning _how_ to program in practice is of huge importance.
There are lots of books out there which give examples in several
different languages of how to apply theoretical concepts to your craft.
Although all of these languages aren't inherently object oriented you
can apply such concepts to them to one degree or another to make your
problem solving a little more practical and logical...