wrapping existing instance in new interface

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Nov 15 18:25:59 EST 2006

At Wednesday 15/11/2006 19:30, insyte at gmail.com wrote:

>I am writing a class that subclasses datetime.datetime in order to add
>a few specialized methods.  So far the __init__ looks like this:
>
>class myDateTime(datetime.datetime):
>     def __init__(self, time, *args, **kwargs):
>         if isinstance(time, str):
>             timeTuple, tzOffset = self.magicMethod(timeStr)
>             datetime.__init__(self, tzinfo=GenericTZ(tzoffset),
>**timeTuple)

(I assume you mean *timeTuple)

>I would also like to pass in instances of datetime.datetime and have my
>class wrap it in the new interface.  Something like this:
>
>mdt = myDateTime(datetime.datetime.now())
>
>I suppose I could do something like this:
>
>     elif isinstance(time, datetime.datetime):
>         timetuple = time.timetuple()
>         tzoffset = time.utcoffset()
>         datetime.__init__(self, tzinfo=GenericTZ(tzoffset),
>**timetuple)
>
>However, that feels rather... awkward.  Is there a better/cleaner way?
>Perhaps a way to directly wrap my new interface around the passed-in
>datetime.datetime instance?

I don't see any other suitable constructor for datetime; perhaps one
taking a datetime instance would be useful here.
Each individual component (year, month, etc.) is stored by itself, so
timetuple() isn't complex; apart from the overhead of constructing a
new object, you get an unneeded extra check of validity.

Another way would be monkey-patching the datetime class adding your
own methods. This way the new methods would be available on any
datetime instance - you don't need myDateTime class.
You can move "magicmethod" into a factory function used to construct
datetime objects.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL