Py3K idea: why not drop the colon?

Simon Brunning simon at brunningonline.net
Mon Nov 13 09:05:20 EST 2006

On 11/11/06, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
>
> >> blue is red or green or yellow
> >
> > *grin* - this can be construed as a weakness in Python -
>
> it's boolean logic, and it's incompatible with human use of the same
> terms in all contexts, not just Python.

Indeed.

The other day, I way showing my eight year old, Freja, what a program
looks like:

your_name = raw_input("What's your name? ")
if your_name.lower() == "freja":
    print "You're very stinky,", your_name
else:
    print "You smell lovely, ", your_name

After running it a couple of times, she dove in and changed the 2nd line to:

if your_name.lower() == "daddy or ella":

(Ella is my other daughter's name.) That's pretty close to correct,
I'd say - but you don't get anything for being close in a programming
language.

--
Cheers,
Simon B