Access to variable from external imported module

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Nov 24 13:41:17 EST 2006

jim-on-linux wrote:
> On Friday 24 November 2006 03:30, John Machin
> wrote:
> > jim-on-linux wrote:
> > > GinTon,
> > >
> > > I think this is what you want.
> > >

> > > class Kdoi:
> >
> > Is that a typo?
>        No, it's a style. life seems to be easier
> to me if one is consistent, all my classes begin
> with K.

and end with "i"?

> > >    def __init__(self) :
> > >        self.Fdo()
> >
> > What is all this K and F stuff?
> >
>    It's my style. life seems to be easier  to me
> if one is consistent all my function begin with
> F.

You left out a word; the correct way of phrasing that is: "All my
function _are_ begin with F" :-)

This appears to be a variation on "Hungarian notation"; google that for
opinions pro & con.

In a certain vernacular, it would be called "an effed concept" :-)

> I started doing things like this when the only way
> to debug was to read each line of code and try to
> figgure out if it was the problem.

When was that? Even years ago, there were slightly better ways. For
example, my first boss' boss was an enthusiastic coder and debugger and
also a workaholic. Colleagues who lived along the same railway line as
he and were foolish enough not to hide behind a newspaper could have
their morning or evening reverie disturbed by a cry of "Glad you're
here! I'll hold the listing, you hold the dump!". I get the impression
that debugging techniques have moved along a little bit since then. :-)

> They are my personal sign posts.
> > >    def Fdo(self):
> > >

> > >      searchterm = 'help'
> > >      print searchterm     #local
> > >
> > >      self.searchterm = searchterm
> > >      print self.searchterm #used inside the
> > > class
> > >
> > >      Kdo.searchterm = searchterm   #<<<<
> > >      print Kdo.searchterm #used outside the
> > > class Kdomore()
> > >

> > > class Kdomore(Kdo):
> > >      def __init__(self) :
> > >          self.Fdomore()
> > >
> > >      def Fdomore(self):
> > >          searchterm =  Kdo.searchterm   #
> > > <<<< print searchterm
> >
> > It's not apparent what the print statements are
> > for -- are they part of an attempt to debug
> > your code?
> >
> print shows the results wherever a print statement
> turns up the results = 'help' .
> I didn't run the code, and it has it has a coding
> error

I noticed.

> but if removed, the results should be;
>
>    searchterm = 'help'
>    self.searchterm = 'help'
>    Kdo.searchterm = 'help'

No, the result would be
help
help
help

Plug in a text-to-speech module and a phone dialer and you're done ;-)

>    Sound silly but many people have trouble with
> getting a variable from here to there in their
> code. This shows that it can be done
>
> > What gives you the idea that this is what the
> > OP wants or needs?
>
> If I remember right,  he refrased  his first
> question and asked a second one.
> Sometimes people don't take the time to write
> correctly, the questions that are really in their
> mind. So I guessed.  If Im wrong, he will ignore
> it.  If I'm right, he will use it.

With luck. Kindly consider another possibility: that you are wrong (or
just marching to the beat of your own tambourine) and he (or she) is a
newbie & will use it :-)

[snip]

HTH,
John