Python deployment options.

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 09:17:45 EST 2006

Chris_147 wrote:
> king kikapu wrote:
> > Hi to all folks here,
> >
> > i just bought a book and started reading about this language.
> > I want to ask what options do we have to deploy a python program to
> > users that do not have the labguage installed ??
> >
> > I mean, can i make an executable file, or something that contains the
> > runtime and the modules that the program only use or am i forced to
> > download the language to the user machine so the .py  files can be run
> > ??
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > king kikapu
>
> Well, on Windows you have to look for the Py2Exe package
> (www.py2exe.org)
> On Mac OS X you can use Py2App
> (http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html)
>
> Mind you, on Windows there is one big potentional problem: Python is
> compiled with Visual Studio 2003 and needs msvcr71.dll.  So Py2Exe
> wants to distribute that dll also, but if you don't have a valid Visual
> Studio license, you are not allowed to.
> It is explained further in this thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/bccb45b7dae7ddd5/dacec12e300a74d4#dacec12e300a74d4

I think that is an incorrect reading of the thread.

The *Python* developers need a valid Visual Studio license to
redistribute msvcr71.dll.

When you build an app with py2exe you are just bundling Python with
your application and so don't need the license.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/index2.shtml