The Python Papers Edition One

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Nov 23 18:31:13 EST 2006

Klaas wrote:
> Tennessee writes:
> >    * If you say LaTex, I'll eat your brain. Or my hat. Unless I'm
> > seriously underrating it, but I don't think so.
>
> Why?  It is a suitable solution to this problem.  You can produce
> unformatted content, then produce pdf and html pages from it.

Sure, LaTeX probably has some way of producing a reasonable layout, or
at least TeX will be able to do it, but by then you're in a sea of
backslashes and eating the factory that makes the hats.

Paul

P.S. I know it's a bit unfair to pour scorn on LaTeX - after all, if I
were writing a long report or paper, I'd probably consider using it
(with LyX, I imagine) - but dealing with layout issues in the W3C
family of technologies (CSS, XSL-FO, anything using the same basic
layout model) is a more attractive predicament, despite the
occasionally bizarre and generally lengthy specifications.