Reading GDSII layouts

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Tue Nov 28 11:56:03 EST 2006

Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a library for reading GDSII layout files structures (hierarchy, cells names, ...).
> I found IPKISS (http://www.photonics.intec.ugent.be/research/facilities/design/ipkiss/default.htm),
> but it looks to be a generator and not a reader.
>
> Thank you,
> Vincent

The link you gave states this near the top:
  IPKISS is a python-based library for the generation of GDSII layouts,
including hierarchy.
  It has grown out of the GDS_KEY library, but it is more flexible and
object oriented. Contrary
  to GDS_KEY,  **it can read and edit existing GDSII files**.

And at the bottom of the page:
  * Import of existing GDSII files into a layout (import.py)

It looks to be a reader?!

- Paddy.