profanity on comp.lang.python (was Re: Pyro stability)

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Wed Nov 8 13:42:00 EST 2006

Aahz wrote:
> In article <1162997345.277966.31860 at h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> Beliavsky <beliavsky at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >If this is supposed to justify using bad language in a public forum,
> >it is poorly reasoned. Having heard "f***" does not mean they were not
> >annoyed. 100% of people have seen trash on the street, but that does
> >not justify littering. If a group of people don't mind profanity, there
> >is no harm in their swearing to each other. But Usenet is read by a
> >wide range of people, and needlessly offending some of them is wrong.
> >The OP used "f******" just for emphasis. English is a rich language,
> >and there are better ways of doing that.
>
> Oh, gimme a f****** break.  Do a simple Gooja search to find out how
> often people already use "f***" around here.  I think you're the one who
> needs to justify your position.
> --
> Aahz (aahz at pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

I too know your wrong Aahz. The written word is not the same as that
spoken. People should make an effort to put across their meaning in a
clear manner. If I were going to an interview I would be very careful
about swearing and most likely not do it. People complain about the
friendliness and tone of groups, and mention it when talking about
programming languages.

Not everyone swears like Eddy Murphy in Beverley Hills Cop, and a lot
of those that do, would not do so when they want to impress, or
communicate with a stranger.

The tone of comp.lang.python *is* an asset, I think, to Python that
swearing will diminish.

- Paddy.

P.S. I did a google search and found 540,000 hits for python in c.l.p.
and only 121 for f***. thats less than one in a thousand. Lets keep it
that way please.