Exploiting Dual Core's with Py_NewInterpreter's separated GIL ?

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.invalid
Wed Nov 8 11:40:39 EST 2006

Sandra-24 wrote:
> On Nov 2, 1:32 pm, robert <no-s... at no-spam-no-spam.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to use multiple CPU cores for selected time consuming Python computations (incl. numpy/scipy) in a frictionless manner.
>>
>> Interprocess communication is tedious and out of question, so I thought about simply using a more Python interpreter instances (Py_NewInterpreter) with extra GIL in the same process.
>
> Why not use IronPython? It's up to date (unlike Jython), has no GIL,
> and is cross-platform wherever you can get .NET or Mono (UNIX, macs,
> windows) and you can use most any scientific libraries written for the
> .NET/Mono platform (there's a lot) Take a look anyway.
>
> -Sandra

what about speed. Is it true that IronPython is almost as fast as C-Python meanwhile?

When this all is really true, its probably a proof that putting out LOCK-INC-lock's (on dicts, lists, mutables ...) in CPython to remove the GIL in future should not be really so expensive as it was teached in the past :-)

Still to adopt to .NET libraries will be a big step. Is there really a thing out there as usable as numpy/scipy. And GUI programming in IronPython ...

( The FAQ's on codeplex.com and many docs are not readable currently due to site errors. What about overall stability and # of users of Iron as of today? )

-robert