Exploiting Dual Core's with Py_NewInterpreter's separated GIL ?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 3 22:50:11 EST 2006

robert wrote:
> Daniel Dittmar wrote:
>
>>robert wrote:
[...]
>>>garbage is collected earliest, when the refcount went to 0. If it ever
>>>went to 0, no one will ever use such object again. Thus GC should not
>>>be different at all.
>>
>>Since Python 2.?, there's a mark-and-sweep garbage collection in
>>addition to the reference counting scheme. This was put into Python to
>>be able to reclaim object cycles.
>

> still that only walks on objects which have already zero refcount. Cannot imagine any additional problems with the GIL.

If I understand you correctly, then you are suffering a misapprehension.
Any object whose reference count goes to zero will immediately be
reclaimed. The mark-sweep garbage collector is used to detect objects
that are taking part in cycles - sets of objects that only refer to each
other without being bound to a name in any current namespace or to any
container object bound to such a name.

In other words, it detects (and reclaims) objects with non-zero
reference counts which nevertheless can be reclaimed without ill effect
on the program.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119