A python IDE for teaching that supports cyrillic i/o

Alan Franzoni alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com.invalid
Sun Nov 19 09:13:30 EST 2006

Kirill Simonov  si è divertito a scrivere:

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 12:33:39PM +0100, Alan Franzoni wrote:

> No, I would prefer the editor to save the .py files with non-ASCII
> characters in UTF-8 encoding adding the BOM at the beginning of the
> file. This will allow the interpreted to detect the file encoding
> correctly and would save a teacher from explaining what an encoding is
> and why it is needed.

You'll run into encoding problems anyway in your programmer's life. I don't
think it's a workaround, try this article:

I think it's highly useful, you could tell that to your students.

BTW, not every editor supports the BOM. Have you tried with the explicit
encoding line:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

Eclipse+Pydev seems to work with that. I'm not able to check with other
editors right now, but it seems you're experiencing a simple encoding
problem; your editor doesn't know which encoding you'd like to use, so it
defaults to ascii or iso-8859-1 leading to such problems.

--
Alan Franzoni <alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com>
-