Accessing file metadata on windows XP

Rob Williscroft rtw at freenet.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 07:41:42 EST 2006

 wrote in news:1164704134.100569.101270 at j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com in
comp.lang.python:

> When rightclicking a, for example, pdf file on windows, one normally
> gets a screen with three or four tags.  Clicking on one of the summary
> tag one can get some info like "title", "Author", "category", "keyword"
> etc..
>
> My question is how can I programmatically read and change these data
> with python.  I know I should use Hammond's win32  extension, somehow
> involving the pythoncom, storagecon of win32com etc..  Unfortunately,
> so far I cannot get anything useful.  Instead of trying blindly, would
> somebody please points me to the correct direction.  A little snippet
> would help.  I am particular interested in pdf files.

This looks like it might be useful:

<url:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/objects/shellfolderitem/shellfolderit
em.asp>

Thats:

MSDN Home >  MSDN Library >  Win32 and COM Development >  User Interface
>  Windows Shell >  Windows Shell >  Shell Objects for Scripting and
Microsoft Visual Basic >  ShellFolderItem >

Rob.
--
http://www.victim-prime.dsl.pipex.com/