is this the right way to do subclasses?

Wed Nov 8 13:21:39 EST 2006

Ok, back to my so-called "game." I'm just curious if I've implemented
the subclasses properly, because it seems like an awful lot of
repetition with the parameters. And again, if I want to add a new
attribute later, I'd have to change a lot of things. I can't help but
get the feeling that I'm doing something very inefficiently.

Thanks!

class Character(object):

     def __init__(self, name, strength, dexterity, intelligence):
         self.name = name
         self.health = 10
         self.strength = strength
         self.dexterity = dexterity
         self.intelligence = intelligence

class Fighter(Character):

     def __init__(self, name, strength, dexterity, intelligence):
         Character.__init__(self, name, strength, dexterity, intelligence)
         self.health += 2
         self.strength += 1

class Thief(Character):

     def __init__(self, name, strength, dexterity, intelligence):
         Character.__init__(self, name, strength, dexterity, intelligence)
         self.health += 1
         self.dexterity += 1

class Mage(Character):

     def __init__(self, name, strength, dexterity, intelligence):
         Character.__init__(self, name, strength, dexterity, intelligence)
         self.intelligence += 1