how to print pdf with python on a inkjet printer.

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Nov 17 02:16:11 EST 2006

"krishnakant Mane" <researchbase at gmail.com> wrote:

>hello all.
>I am developing an ncurses based python application that will require
>to create pdf reports for printing.
>I am not using py--qt or wx python.
>it is a consol based ui application and I need to make a pdf report
>and also send it to a lazer or ink jet printer.
>is it possible to do so with python?

Making the PDF is easy.  Go get ReportLab from www.reportlab.org.  I
consider it the best Python PDF solution.

Printing is more complicated, because you actually need something that can
RENDER the PDF.  The most common such renderer is the Acrobat Reader, and
you can actually call the Acrobat Reader from a command line with a
parameter that tells it to print the file automatically.  The only
disadvantage is that using that method will only print to the "default"
printer.

>or is it that I will have to use the wxpython library asuming that
>there is a print dialog which can open up the list of printers?

Even if you got the list of printers, what would you do with it?
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.