profanity on comp.lang.python (was Re: Pyro stability)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Nov 8 14:18:09 EST 2006

In article <mailman.1907.1163003856.11739.python-list at python.org>,
 <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    Beliavsky> English is a rich language, and there are better ways of
>    Beliavsky> doing that.
>
>    aahz> Oh, gimme a fucking break.
>
>I'm with Beliavsky on this one.  I can't see any particular reason to curse
>in a forum such as c.l.py.  It just coarsens the discussion with no obvious
>positive benefit as far as I can see.

Actually, I do agree that profanity "should" be avoided on c.l.py; what
I disagree with rather vociferously is having language police like
Beliavsky.  I consider Beliavsky's offense far worse than the original
post.

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 1993