Exploiting Dual Core's with Py_NewInterpreter's separated GIL ?

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.invalid
Thu Nov 9 15:37:53 EST 2006

Paul Boddie wrote:
> robert wrote:
>> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>>> of multiple cores.  I think Python only needs a nice way to share a
>>> relatively small set of objects using shared memory.  POSH goes in that
>>> direction, but I don't think it's simple enough yet.
>>>
>>> http://poshmodule.sourceforge.net/
>> interesting, a solution possibly a little faster than pickling - but maybe only in selected
>> situations. Made already experiments with pickling through shared memory.
>
> What did you discover in your experiments? I'd certainly suspect that
> pickling is going to add an unacceptable degree of overhead in the kind
> of application you're attempting to write (using a shared data
> structure with random access properties), and I'll admit that I haven't
> really had to deal with that kind of situation when using my own
> pickle-based parallelisation solutions (which involve communicating
> processes).
>
>> With "x = posh.share(x)" an object tree will be (deep-)copied to shared mem ( as far as
>> objects fullfil some conditions http://poshmodule.sourceforge.net/posh/html/node6.html: is
>> this true for numpy arrays?)
>
> My impression is that POSH isn't maintained any more and that work was
> needed to make it portable, as you have observed. Some discussions did
> occur on one of the Python development mailing lists about the
> possibility of using shared memory together with serialisation
> representations faster than pickles (which also don't need to be
> managed as live objects by Python), and I think that this could be an
> acceptable alternative.
>
>> Every object to be inserted in the hot tunnel object tree has to be copied that same style.
>> Thus ~pickling, but somewhat easier to use.
>
> If my understanding of "hot tunnel object tree" is correct, you're
> really wanting fast access involving mutual exclusion to some shared
> data structure. At this point it becomes worth considering some kind of
> distributed object technology (or even a database technology) where you
> have to initialise the data structure and then communicate with an
> object (or database) to perform operations on it, all for reasons I'll
> explain shortly.
>
> In your ideal situation, you say that you'd have the data structure in
> the same address space as a number of threads, and each thread would be
> able to perform some algorithm on the data structure, but the pattern
> of accessing the structure isn't an insignificant concern even where
> you can assume that the overheads are generally low: reading and
> writing things might be fast in the same address space, but if the
> nature of access involves lots of locking, you'll incur quite a penalty
> anyway. In other words, if each read or write to the structure involves
> acquiring a lock for that operation in isolation, this could
> significantly diminish performance, whereas if you can guarantee that
> the granularity of locking is more coarse than having to occur upon
> [...]

Some thoughts may make reason, when one wants to trick the single GIL a little.
But the length of the text tells us again to possibly get at least refcounting thread safe (within access restrictions) - or get rid of refcount - or do it an go the full path towards a GIL free Python.

Besides some programming costs the speed cost would be that of a few LOCK INC's. Rumors tell not much - and almost nothing when not using non-SMP threading. I'd like to see experimental data regarding the speed. Found nothing on the web so far.

And optimistic all lockfree basic datastructures (obmalloc's freelist, dicts, queues,..) could be built up for futher optimizations:
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:KUXW1Ya2duwJ:softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message%3Fboard.id%3D42%26message.id%3D68+SMP+%22LOCK+INC%22+speed&hl=de&gl=de&ct=clnk&cd=2

Little test:

--------------------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

volatile int x=0;
clock_t c0,c1;
time_t t0,t1;

int main (int argc, char **argv) {
  int sum = 0, i, count = 1000000000;
  t0=time(&t0);
  c0=clock();
  for (i = 0; i < count; ++i) {
      __asm lock inc x;
      // __asm inc x;
      sum += x;
  }
  c1=clock();
  t1=time(&t1);
//  printf("%d\n", sum);
  printf("clocks: %d\n", c1-c0);
  printf("secs:   %d\n", t1-t0);
  return sum;
}

--------------
0040101F   mov         eax,3B9ACA00h
13:     for (i = 0; i < count; ++i) {
14:         __asm lock inc x;
00401024   lock inc    dword ptr [_x (00408a00)]
15:         sum += x;
0040102B   mov         edx,dword ptr [_x (00408a00)]
00401031   add         esi,edx
00401033   dec         eax
00401034   jne         main+24h (00401024)
16:     }

results on a UP PIII :

INC version:
clocks: 7520