please help me choose a proper gui library.

krishnakant Mane researchbase at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 13:22:07 EST 2006

On 18/11/06, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> You have to install Qt first. You only need to install the run-time elements
> (ie. the DLLs) on the client's machine. Unless your application is licensed
> under the GPL (and you are using the GPL version of Qt and PyQt) then there
> are components of Qt that you must not install on the client's machine.
Yes, the software is licensed under gpl.  how do I determine what
run-time elements I need to install on the clien'ts machine and what
is supposed to  be skipped?

> The only binary installer provided is for the GPL version of PyQt. Qt has
> separate installers. It's easy enough to use something like NSIS to create
> your own installer for your application that includes everything that it
> needs.
that's exactly what I am planning, only need to figure out what all do
I need to package apart from the application executable.  by the way I
will be using cx_freze for creating executables.  so I hope I will not
require to also ship the PYQT modules?
> PyQt fully supports Python 2.5.
but my problem is that I will only be able to use python 2.4, is that
ok?  the PYQT installer asks "you seam to have a version older than
python25, would you still like to continue?"  is it safe to do so?  I
did not find a gpl binary for PYQT that is made for python24.  please
give the URL if possible.
> Google for the different ones and try them out.
which is the best editor which I can consider simple, does auto
indentation and has some kind of auto completion features?  it is ok
if I don't get a gui designer.
> In addition to your application you need to distribute the Qt DLLs (and
> plugins if you use them), the corresponding PyQt .pyd files and sip.pyd. If
> you are using the GPL version of Qt then you may also need to consider the
> MinGW DLLs. Finally you need to consider if you need to distribute Python
> itself.
>
> You might like to look at tools like PyInstaller for creating single
> executables.
this is all confusing for me right now.  can you please give me any
links possible for having a binary qt installer that will also install
dlls required by PYQT?
and how will I be able to determine what dll files and what other
components I will need to ship with my installer?
thanks.
Krishnakant.