win32file.DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_GET_RETRIEVAL_POINTERS)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 4 12:26:13 EST 2006

Jim schrieb:
> I'm not sure how to perform this operation in Python. The difficulty is
> in knowing the size of the output buffer: if it is too small, I get an
> "insufficient buffer" exception; too large, and I get an "end of file"
> exception. In neither case is any partial data available.

What precisely is the "end of file" exception you are getting. Looking
at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/fsctl_get_retrieval_pointers.asp

I'd say it is

ERROR_HANDLE_EOF 	The volume is an NTFS file system volume and the
requested starting VCN is past the end of the file.

So my guess is you should just pass a smaller starting VCN.

Regards,
Martin