text file parsing (awk -> python)

Daniel Nogradi nogradi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 06:37:59 EST 2006

Hi list,

I have an awk program that parses a text file which I would like to
rewrite in python. The text file has multi-line records separated by
empty lines and each single-line field has two subfields:

node 10
x -1
y 1

node 11
x -2
y 1

node 12
x -3
y 1

and this I would like to parse into a list of dictionaries like so:

mydict[0] = { 'node':10, 'x':-1, 'y':1 }
mydict[1] = { 'node':11, 'x':-2, 'y':1 }
mydict[2] = { 'node':12, 'x':-3', 'y':1 }

But the names of the fields (node, x, y) keeps changing from file to
file, even their number is not fixed, sometimes it is (node, x, y, z).

What would be the simples way to do this?