Python development time is faster.

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Nov 13 11:05:43 EST 2006

> Oh, the memories... I went down the same road about two years ago,
> though I didn't know about PyLucene at the time and wrapped in jython
> the parts of Lucene I used... never bothered to deal with java's
> verbosity after that. It's a pity that jython resembles abandon-ware
> these days, when jRuby showed up pretty recently and is gaining in
> penetration with the java crowd. It will be a non-trivial loss for
> python if it is left behind in the JVM world (at least if the latter is
> not swallowed by the .NET dark forces, which doesn't seem to happen any
> time soon ;-).

I wouldn't consider jython abandonware. It is under active development, and
I'm using a 2.2 alpha successful for quite a while now - which usually
serves my needs.

The problem is/was that new-style classes were a major hurdle to take, and
this now seems to be conquered. So lets hope (or contribute code....:P)
that jython will see a 2.4 version ASAP.

diez