Python and SSL enabled

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed Nov 1 00:43:31 EST 2006

matey wrote:
> However, when I use the following command: python setup.py install
> I get the following error:
>
> creating /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/M2Crypto
> error: could not create
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/M2Crypto': Permission denied

Ok, it looks like you M2Crypto built ok, but now you face this
permission problem which is not specific to M2Crypto. You'd run into
this with any 3rd party python module.

> Since I don't have root privleges can I install the M2Crypto somewhere
> else?

You could manually copy the built M2Crypto directory somewhere in your
home directory, for example:

/home/mmedina/python2.3/site-packages/M2Crypto

Then, you'd edit (or create) PYTHONPATH environment variable so that it
contained /home/mmedina/python2.3/site-packages. After that you should
be able to import M2Crypto in your scripts. In the future if you needed
more 3rd party libs you could just place them as siblings of M2Crypto in
your personal site-packages dir we created above.

An alternative is to copy M2Crypto and any other 3rd party libs into the
same dir where your python script is so that when you do an import, the
3rd party libs are found in the same dir.

--
  Heikki Toivonen